Problem loading custom maps

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
edbangor

Problem loading custom maps

Post by edbangor » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:26 pm

Whenever I attempts to start a custom downloaded map/scenario from this site, my PC always locks up.

I have the official Holiday/Santa extra scenario and that, along with all those that came with the game work fine.

I tried to follow the advice on where to put the files from another thread on here:

[quote="snoopy55"]
Go into your Sid Meier's Railroads! folder (found by looking at 'Properties' of the main screen icon) and find a folder called 'Custom Assets'. Click on it. Here you should find a folder called 'XML'. Go in there and find a folder called '_SCENARIOS_'. Now, depending upon how Maps are zipped, you will either get a folder or a group of files. If it's a folder, unzip (or extract, whichever) it into here. If it is files, create a folder using the maps name and place the files into there.
quote]

but soon noticed that I have two 'xml/_SCEANRIOS_' folders.
One is in the root with the rest of the games files and the other is filed under the "MY Games" folder, (the santa scenario is in this second one)

I've tried installing the download maps into either of these folders, and both of which cause the scenario to show up inside the GAMES single player scenario menu but, when I attempt to load the map - from either location - it locks the PC.

The same thing happens each time, with any of the maps listed below: From the scenario set up screen, the load will start off nomally with the "Misscounting Rivets" screen and the hourglass, doing its thing, and the HDD buzzing away but then..... nothing.
The first screen doesn't change to another one, the hourglass continues to spin but the HDD goes silent, and the computer is otherwise completely locked up.
From this point there is no other way to get out of the game, but to cold shut it down as the WINDOWS key won't bring up the task bar (as it usually does during the game) and even alt+ctrl+del won't bring up the WINDOWS TASK MANAGER window (again as it normally does) either of which could shut the programme down.

GIven that the SANTA scenario works fine, clearly I'm putting something/s in the wrong place, and the game can't find something its looking for, but what, and where?

I've tried this with the ALASKA, ONTARIO, RANDONMAP, & WYOMING VALLEY maps/scenarios from this site, and the same result with all of them.

Any help would be most gratefully recieved.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:29 am

I went over my advice as you quoted it, and it seems OK. Yes there are two places for these files and yes, either one will work. As to why, I don't know. it's just the way they wrote it. Below is a shot of my screen where the files are stored, aside from the number of folders and the names, does yours look like this?

As you can run the Santa, I have to figure you are at Ver 1.10. The maps you listed are larger than the original 10 x 10. Have you tried East Ontario? Also try Lama's Germany under Railroads! Talk. If they work, it may be the size.

What is your system configuration?
Attachments
ScreenView.jpg
ScreenView.jpg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

edbangor

Post by edbangor » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi
thanks for your reply.
I found the problem and it was that I was using the wrong patch (Yes, I'm an idot!) and once I installed the 1.10 patch, the maps started to load.
Guess it was a problem with the 1.01patch (and before?) with outsized map sizes as you suggested.
Anyway, thanks again.

ribamar

Post by ribamar » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:36 pm

I have the same problem, the maps dont load, it freezes the sreen in "miscounting rivets", i cant update to 1.10 because if i do that the game will crash to desktop in every map!!!!
i'm running vista on a laptop. i would appreciate some help mates.

cheers

ribamar

Post by ribamar » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:45 pm

i've just installed update 1.10, and in custom maps now it gets past the miscounting rivets, but then just before showing the map, it crashes to the desktop. how can i fix this?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:56 pm

This can depend on two things, what you have for a system and what maps you have loaded. A lot of newer maps depend on older maps being loaded first. Once loaded, you can remove the Map from _SCENARIO_ or UserMaps (where ever it was installed to) if you don't want it, but the mods of some maps are required to run other maps. There is a list in a Sticky under Maps.

:twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....